The sample bylaws below are meant to help Committeepeople understand, by example, their power to shape their Ward Committee. They are not meant to be definitive, and may well benefit from changes.
Sample Open Meeting Bylaw
All meetings of the Committee at which official business is to be transacted must be open to all Democrats in the district served by the Committee, and to the media.
At any time, by a vote of two-thirds of the Committee members present at an official meeting, the meeting may be closed to non-members of the Committee for a limited discussion. No votes may be taken in the closed portion of a meeting.
Sample Nomination and Endorsement Bylaw
The County Committeeman shall cast no vote in any City Committee endorsement or nomination meeting unless that vote shall have been approved by a majority vote at an official meeting of the Ward Committee served by the County Committeeman.
Sample Website Bylaw
The Secretary of the Committee shall arrange for a public website whose web address shall be communicated timely to all members of the Committee and to the County Board of Elections.
The website shall contain, at a minimum, the following information, which shall at no time be more than one week out of date, and shall be accessible by no more than one click from the home page:
- A list of all current members of the Committee, with contact information.
- A list of all current officers of the Committee, with contact information and office titles.
- A list of all known future meetings
- Minutes of all official Committee meetings occurring since the institution of this bylaw (or in the last 10 years), along with the status of the minutes (approved or unapproved).
- A report of the Committee's finances, current as of the last official Committee meeting, containing, at a minimum, the balance of the Committee's funds.
- The current bylaws.
- The date of the last update to the website.
Any meeting of the Committee shall be announced prominently on the website following the same timeline requirements as for notice of that meeting to the Committeepeople by mail or other means.